Photo Monument 3/25/2010

Face to Face
by Gale Wall
I love headstones that tell you something about the person. Information I have found on headstones includes; place of birth, childrens names, scriptures, poems as epitaphs, military service, family tree information, sorieties and other organizations. I have even found some that list the cause of death. My favorite, however, is to find one with a picture. I love coming face to face with the person I am visiting.
Ceramic photos have been around since the mid-1800s. The quality has improved with time. There are many options available in the shape of a ceramic photo. I "Googled" a couple of phrases using the words ceramic, headstone & photo. What I found is today photos are made by taking a digital image and printing it on unbaked ceramic, using special machinery, and then it is fired in a kiln at a high temperature, baking the ink into the ceramic, to provide a product that will [hopefully] last a long time. Pricing I saw online ranged from less than $100 to several hundred dollars. There are a lot of companies that offer this item and I would suggest you check the details behind the product before purchasing one. I have plans to have one made for my Mama's headstone.
Another option is photo engraving or etching. I am seeing more and more of these in the cemeteries.
Here are a few ceramic photos from my cemetery walks:
Do you have a favorite headstone ceramic photo?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
.
"Ceramic Photos." Memorials.com. Web. 22 Mar. 2010. http://www.memorials.com/Ceramic-Pictures-information.php.
.
Artisanmemorials.com. Web. 22 Mar. 2010. http://www.artisanmemorials.com/Headstone-pictures.html.
.
Everlife Memorials. Web. 22 Mar. 2010. http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/tombstone-ceramic-pictures.htm.


2 Comments:
FaB!!! Thanks, Gale, for the information. A while ago I found a site that listed just tombstones with pictures. I will have to find it again.
The headstones with photos are one of my favorites as well especially if they are an ancestor!! Thanks for sharing those that you have found and how the process works today.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home