Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Rabbit's Tale 2/14/2012




 By K. Liam Hobbes

To: My Dear Friend, Grave Yard Rabbit
'Neath the sculptured foxglove hedge;
Care of the Township Cemet'ry
Outside the City's edge.

G.Y., I need your insight
And your expertise to lobby;
A full investigation:
As how someone could lose a body!

With GPS and camera
His grave I came to find;
His obit states he's in here
(But I think I lost my mind)!

As the Town Clerk shook her head
"Sorry, he's not around;"
She has no record for him here --
Or anywhere in town!

I think, perhaps, he has no stone
But with some decency;
They still had to put him somewhere
Out of health and courtesy.

But the problem is: they know not where
Their minds have drawn a blank;
Like an empty sheet of paper
(Not worth a hint to thank).

I hope on one of your hop-abouts
Perhaps you might remember:
A quiet little funeral
On a crisp and cool November?

No siblings came to mourn him
They died long before he;
No wife or bern exist
In bachelorhood he chose to be.

No friends had come to gather
Attendance was the least:
Just a team of undertakers
And the local township priest.

But that was 40+ years ago
And the trail ~ alas ~ is cold;
Known but to you and God above
This case is just too old.

So, I ask, dear friend, next time you jaunt
Across your graveyard green;
And see my late relation
Please mention that I have been --

To check on him, and see and tend
To all his upkeep care;
If only I could find him
In his rest out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home